The Yorkshire Agricultural Society is best known for organising the Great Yorkshire Show, but this is only part of its work.
It also arranges a programme of events and supports individuals and organisations involved in agriculture as follows:
- To advance, promote and improve agriculture including forestry, horticulture, pisciculture, the breeding of livestock, rural crafts and allied industries.
- To advance and encourage agricultural education and research and to publish and disseminate the results of such research.
- To advance and encourage the protection and safeguarding of the environment.
- To hold in pursuance of its main objects an annual agricultural show.
- For such charitable purposes as the Council in its absolute discretion sees fit.
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society (YAS) allocates a sum of money each year to activities and organisations that achieve the YAS’s objectives. The YAS has established a Charitable Activities Committee that meets three times a year to oversee its agreed activities and allocate funds. Find out more on Grant Applications & how to apply here.
The application will be reviewed at the next Charitable Activities Committee meeting and applicants informed in writing afterwards.
Additional help can be found with the following organisations;
Farming Help www.farminghelp.org.uk
Confidential help for all in the farming community. The Farming Help Charity help lines are manned by real people who will direct you to specific personnel in Yorkshire very promptly and efficiently. These helpline contact details are listed below:
Farming Community Network (formerly Farm Crisis Network)
Practical/pastoral support for farming people
Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution
Welfare and financial assistance
0808 281 9490 - Confidential Helpline
01865 724931 (office hours)
Rural Housing Scheme
Helping those working in or retired from horticulture
General helpline 0800 093 8543
Debt advice line 0800 093 8546
Enquiry number 1800 093 8510